Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mommy's little helper


Now when you look at this picture you have to look past the mess to see the true story. I was cooking dinner in the kitchen when Luke walked in and said, "Hi!". "Hi, Luke" I say. I proceed to get things ready for dinner. I hear clanging and see that he has gotten out 2 pots. No big deal. He does this every day. I hear more clanging and look down to see that he's putting oranges in his pots. "Are you making dinner, Luke?" I say. "Yeah." I continue to do my thing when I of course hear more clanging. He has gotten out half of one of the pantry shelves and some of one of the drawers. I just have to smile. He so desperately wants to be big and do everything that we do. It's so precious! I ask him if he needs a spoon to stir and he starts doing stir motions with his arm and says "yeah, stir." I get him a spoon and quickly go to grab the camera. I'm not missing this moment to keep forever. Though there was a big mess on the floor and I did have lots to do to get dinner on the table, it's times like these where I have to see the bigger picture and know that I'll never get these type of moments back. One day he'll be grown, and I'll have no more messes on the floor to clean. I know that I'll miss those messes. It's so fun to have curious, independent little boy in our home and family. I have to remind myself to cherish these moments because they will not last forever.

After I took the first picture he started saying "cheese" so I of course had to take another one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are blogging, I love seeing pictures of the kids and your new house too! How exciting for you and JD. I remember how excited your mom and dad were so many years ago getting their new house and when Art and I got ours too. Such great memories, and you are right about how quick the little ones grow up and you don't have their messes to clean up anymore, just sweet memories! Give those babies a kiss for me, love, Aunt Carol

cottage girl said...

I would like to request that the "cook" come to my house. I need some "help" cooking too. And I also need hugs and snuggles and a Hotdog Dance partner.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Tamara said...

So sweet, and a good reminder too!